The director of BLUR: The Blue Ridge Summer Institute for Young Artists is saddened to announce that in light of the sudden closure of Sweet Briar College, we have no choice but to cancel this summer's program.
We at BLUR are grateful for your thoughtful and profound essays and stories, images of your accomplished and dynamic artwork, and your serious interest to extend your abilities as artists. We believe in you, and are certain that you will find the training you desire elsewhere. Keep working. Keep extending yourselves into unfamiliar media. Talk with other artists, no matter who they are, what they do, or how old they are.
Thank you again for your interest in our program, and we wish you nothing less than the most extraordinary summer.
Attention creative writers, visual artists, and aspiring film-makers!
The Blue Ridge Summer Institute for Young Artists (BLUR) is an intensive summer program for high school students that encourages the blending and transcending of artistic genres. Over the course of three weeks, students will test the boundaries of:
- media: Students will declare a medium of emphasis--creative writing, painting/ drawing/ sculpting, or filmmaking--and will cross-train in others
- technique: Students will learn a variety of techniques to approach artistic media in new and unexpected ways
- community: students will work in a shared space with their classmates and master teachers, blurring the lines between instructor and learner
Our goal is to offer a welcoming, dynamic environment in which students can build on their strengths and skills by trying new things.
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- Three intensive weeks: Sunday, 21 June to Sunday, 12 July
- Rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Artistic tracks: creative writing, painting/drawing/sculpting, and filmmaking
- Two hours of college credit
- Application Deadline: April 15
- Early Application Deadline (5% tuition discount): 1 April
- Location: Sweet Briar College, Virginia
- Financial aid & scholarships available